1. State two ways in which some fungi are harmful to man ( 2 marks)
- Food spoilage
- Food poisoning
- Cause disease
2. The diagram below represents a fern
(a) Parts labeled A and B ( 2 marks)
(b) The division which the plant belongs ( 1 mark)
3. An organism with an exoskeleton, segmented body, two pairs of legs per segment, a pair of eyes and a pair of eyes and a pair of short antennae belongs to the phylum ( 1 mark)
4. When are two organisms considered to belong to the same species? ( 2 marks)
When they interbreed freely giving rise to a viable/fertile offspring.
5. A student caught an animal which had the following characteristics;
- Body divided into two parts
- Simple eyes
- Eight legs
The animal belongs to the class ( 1 mark)
6. Below is a list of organisms, which belong to classes insecta, myriapoda and arachnida. Tick, centipede, praying mantis, tsetse fly. Millipede and spider. Place the organisms in their respective classes in the table below. Give reasons in each case.
7. State two characteristics features of members of division bryophyte
( 2 marks)
- Presence of rhizoids
- Absence of vascular tissues
- Body parts not differentiated into roots, stem and leaves
8. State two ways in which some fungi are beneficial to humans ( 2 marks)
- Brewing industry
- Baking of bread
- Manufacture of medicine/antibiotics
- Source of food
- Manufacture of vitamin K and B12
9. Other than having many features in common state the other characteristics of species ( 1 mark)
Interbreed to produce fertile/viable offspring
10. Beside the abdomen, name the other body part of members of arachnida ( 1 mark)
11. Name the phylum whose members possess notochord. ( 1 mark)
12. Name the class in the phylum arthropoda which has the largest number of individuals ( 1 mark)
13. To which class does an animal with two body parts and four pairs of legs belong? ( 1 mark)
14. (a) Name two organisms that cause food spoilage ( 2 marks)
- Saprophytic bacteria
(b) Name two methods of food preservation and for each state the biological principal behind it. ( 2 marks)
- Refrigeration - Very low temperature inactivates the organism and metabolic activities are very low and they do not reproduce
- Cooking –High temperatures kill the micro-organism and they cannot reproduce
- Preservatives – create unsuitable acidic media in which micro-organisms cannot grow.
- Salting – Create high osmotic pressure and micro-organisms become dehydrated.
15. (a) List two characteristics that mammals share with birds ( 2 marks)
- They are closed circulatory system
- They are homoeothermic
- Both use lungs for gaseous exchange
(b) State two major characteristics that are unique to mammals ( 2 marks)
- They have mammary glands
- Skin covered with fur or hair
- They have diaphragm separating thoracic and abdominal cavities
16. What two characteristics distinguish animals in phylum chordata? ( 2 marks)
- Have notochord in embryonic stage
- Have endoskeleton
17. The diagram below shows a plant
(a) Name the parts labeled A and B (2 marks)
(b) Name the division to which the plant belongs ( 1 mark)
(c) Which is the dominant generation of the plant in the diagram? (1 mark)
(d) State three characteristics of the organisms in the division named (b)
- Vascular tissues absent
- Body not differentiated into roots, leaves or stem.
- Display alternation of generations.
18. What three characteristics are used to divide the arthropods into classes? ( 3 marks)
- Number of body parts
- Number of appendages
- Presence of wings
19. (a) Write two differences between algae and fungi ( 2 marks)
- Algae have chlorophyll but fungi do not have.
- Algae are single celled while fungi are multicellular
(b) Give the economic importance of algae ( 1 mark)
- Source of food for aquatic animals
- Manufacture of gels and paints
20. (a) What is alteration of generations? ( 3 marks)
The spore producing structure (asexually) gives rise to the gamete producing structure (sexual) and they alternate.
(b) Name two divisions in plant kingdom that shows alternation of generation
( 2 marks)
21. (a) A millipede, grasshopper and crayfish all belong to phylum arthropoda.
Mention three major characteristics that they have in common. (3 marks)
- Segmented bodies
- Jointed appendages
- Body divided into parts
(b) The specific name of Irish potato is solanum Tuberrasum
(i) Identify two errors that have been made when writing the name
-Second name should be in small letter.
-The names should be underlined.
(ii) What is the species name of Irish potato?
(c) An ecologist came across a plant with the following characteristics, green in colour, non- flowering, compound leaves and sori on the underside of the leaflets. State the probable division of the plant. ( 1 mark)
22. An organism with an exoskeleton, segmented body, two pairs of legs per segment, a pair of eyes and a pair of short antennae belongs to the class ( 1 mark)
23. List the main characteristics that are used to sub- divide arthropods into classes ( 2 marks)
- Number of body parts
- Number of legs
- Number of wings
- Number of antennae
24. Name the main method of reproduction among bacteria. ( 1 mark)